Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Making fitness -- even on the road -- universally accessible

This article got me to thinking. Many hotels and resorts hype their fitness facilities. But how many have areas that are accessible -- a lot of fitness rooms are crowded into a small space -- or have the right equipment for someone, say, who is a wheelchair user? Looks like Dr. James Rimmer, director of the National Center on Physical Activity & Disability, and a professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, may one day help the situation. "In January, Rimmer and a group of doctors and advocates launched the Inclusive Fitness Coalition to urge private health clubs and gyms to make universal accessibility part of their basic service." (Photo by Dawn Turner via morguefile.com)

3 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Michael Lazenby said...

I was just passin' through and wanted to let you know that I dig your blog.

Keep on bloggin,

Krazee Eyez Killa

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is long overdue. I am able bodied, travel a lot and usually work out when my hotel has a fitness center. Many of them are hardly usable by able bodied folks. A lot of hotels stick an old exercycle in a closet and call it a fitness center. I find a lot of broken and unsafe equipment. I can imagine how frustrating this must be for the handicapped. - gdh

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Katja said...

From what I've seen of hotel "fitness centers", I'm sure anonymous is right. But the first obstacle (for me) is my own reluctance to show my crippled bod to the TABs in a hotel pool or exercise room.

Got to work on that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home